Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

There have been a few threads recently regarding the “Scangauge” device that gives you real time info on your car. Now I had one of these devices in my last car and although it was good and did work, the price and the very basic display sent me off looking for an alternative.
The thing I found was the Torque app for the Android phones

http://torque-bhp.com/

There is a free version that is available on the Android market that does work really well, but I upgraded to the full version because of the reviews I read.
To make it work you do need a Bluetooth OBD II interface device that you can pick up for £15 or so on evilbay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V1-4-Andr...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a175519a0

This device allows your phone to talk to the OBDII port via Bluetooth, (but I guess that’s kinda obvious)

Here is my review of the App so people on this forum can get a bit more info and hopefully make a more informed decision on which way to go for a data reader ..

First of all we have the main screen,
This is a scroll type screen that has all the main apps within the application

Realtime Information,
Is what you think it is, it’s the main part of the app that allows you to see the data about your car, (but more about this later)

Check Fault Codes
Does what you would think, it reads the engine ECU and displays any stored fault codes, it also has the option to clear them. This allows you to become a code reader and fault clearer for any car that runs the OBDII Protocols

View Map,
This is a plug in to Google Maps (default app on an Android Phone)

Shift Lights
This is an extra I installed just for ****s and giggles, it’s a shift light that you can set to alert yourself at any given RPM reading. It has 4 different layouts but to be honest I have not played with it too much

The next half of the title app screen

Graphing,
This allows you to view in real time a graph of various things going on with your engine

Adaptor Status
This is just an info screen for the communication between your car and the adaptor you have

Help
This is the Help section ….

Now within the “Realtime Information” screens you get the option to display whatever info you want, its completely up to you how you set this up and in what format you want, (this is why I like this over the Scangauge)

Here are the screens and displays I have..

Main Screen

RPM / GPS Speed / Realtime MPG / Average MPG

Screen two

This one is a default from the App, it records you drag times etc. I liked it so left it alone

Screen 3

This is a G reading screen, it works from the phones accelerometer rather than the car but its still very cool trying to beat your record got G in a corner

Screen 4

This is an ECO Widget to see if your driving like a tool or like your grand parents

Screen 5

This one I’m playing with at the minute, Oil temp does not work, but the others work as they should..

And that is all UI have set up so far,
The App gives you the option to setup upto 12 screens with all your own readouts etc

The themes are up to you and available on the app store, you can also customize you background etc, you are able to change the MAX and MIN point of ALL the gauges as you see fit..

The last pic is what MY OBDII adaptor is able to read from the car, even though it does seem to read more than whats on the list..

The APP allows you to log your progress on the phone, this is linked into the phones GPS and works really well with lap times, it also will allow you to keep an eye on the missus if she borrows your car etc.

Either way, I think this App is many many times better in looks, performance and interface than the Scangauge..

So I hope that has helped some people that are looking for something like this..

Happy to answer any questions you have

Ian

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill be honest and say "I have absolutely no idea" mate

THis is the one I am using

the ebay link was just the 1st one I found when searching for "Bluetooth OBDII"

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ive a similar app for my iphone, called dash commander and one called revs, mine uses a wifi plug in instead of a bluetooth one, waiting for my plug-in to arrive and will let you know what its like.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, I had a little play with the Track Recorder Plugin this morning on the way into work and it seems to work like a champ

I know my boost reading is off, but that has now been fixed

[video=youtube;-B944PVdp1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B944PVdp1M[/video]

I'm starting to like this app alot

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well I have proved I can get the Track Recorder plugin to work, but I really need to fix / get a better camera mount before I can take that bit forward,

I have one on order and hopefully it will be with me early next week..

So I had a look at the different themes available and came up with a new one I liked

I did a bit of digging on the interweb and I have found out you can create your own themes and styles as you feel just by replacing some files and some text within the config files

but for now, I will keep using the defaults,

Tomorrows job will be to get the data logging uploaded onto the web and find out if its actually useful info or if I need to tweak the counters in the logging

oh and to see how many G I can pull in the mighty Megane :D

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
just received my B/T so had small play with it already, just find out, there is small delay between that what’s on display & real, just few 1/10 second but still it annoying me, also please can you share how do you convert (download) videos from cell with all the dates - cos when I open the folder where is the video, there are also another 3 files, once I download the video to computer, there are any gauges in the video, I also followed the instructions to download & install the xuggle, but once the xugle is installed, I can’t find it in my computer, as also again cant download the videos with gauges :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks smart & a good alternative :)

Ive a similar app for my iphone, called dash commander and one called revs, mine uses a wifi plug in instead of a bluetooth one, waiting for my plug-in to arrive and will let you know what its like.
What plug in have u ordered mate ive seen one on ebay but its £50 & does the iphone only work with wifi or can you get a bluetooth one as they seem to be alot less ££

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What plug in have u ordered mate ive seen one on ebay but its £50 & does the iphone only work with wifi or can you get a bluetooth one as they seem to be alot less ££
Unfortunately the Ipoo only supports Wifi when it comes to things like this mate

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have put my new Phone Holder / Camera Mount together and its alot more sturdy than the original one was..

I started using one of these because it was what I had to hand for playing

Turned up today was one of these

I broke them down into the components I needed

Put them back together again in the configuration I wanted and ended up with this

This camera mount I used on my Euro bash in 2010 with a Contour HD Camera attached and it was solid as a rock, so hopefully with my phone attached it will be just as solid

More to come tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Are you getting any errors when running the encoder software?

I have found that it doesn't like video files longer than 10 minutes, but other than that its pretty solid
how do you run the encoder software ? as i told i installed that xuggle soft, but than when i am looking for it in computer, i cant find it :( not in start as also cant find it via search in pc :( can you check please for me how it is called ? all what i was able to do was this via VLC player :(

1 - 20 of 100 Posts