Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Megane RS 2.0 is running the stock 225/45/17 (sold in my country) and want to go a little wider. Could I fit a 235/45/17 without any rubbing issues in sharp turns?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks fastdave. Good point on the overall diameter.

I just checked the tire height. The 235/45 is +9.00mm and the 235/40 is -14.50mm compared to my stock tire.

Following up on the issue, I spoke to an engineer at Renault and he recommended to check/adjust the ratios in the computer to make sure the odometer, speedometer and especially the ABS work properly.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Why would there be any height difference, if both tyre profiles are /45 it should be the same regardless of tyre width?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Why would there be any height difference, if both tyre profiles are /45 it should be the same regardless of tyre width?
The profile is the ratio of tyre width to the sidewall height. So if you increase the width and stick to the same profile the sidewall height will increase leading to an overall increase in diameter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The profile is the ratio of tyre width to the sidewall height. So if you increase the width and stick to the same profile the sidewall height will increase leading to an overall increase in diameter.
Indeed. I found this tire size calculator that compares width, sidewall height, overall height and circumference.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
225 / 45 / 17
235 / 40 / 17

Difference -2.21% 14mm in Diameter -44mm in curcumference

When speedometer reads 70 mph/kph your actual speed will be 68.45 mph/kph.

Possible new tyre size, within the current & new tyre size range, within + or - 2.5% adjustable below;

Tyre Size Diameter Circumference Difference Speedo Fits Wheel Rim
---------- -------- ------------- ---------- ------ --------------
235/40 R17 620 mm 1948 mm -2.21 % 68.45 8x17 to 9.5x17
225/45 R17 634 mm 1992 mm 0.00 % 70.00 7.5x17 to 9x17
235/45 R17 644 mm 2023 mm 1.56 % 71.09 8x17 to 9.5x17

Hope this helps....

(p.s. Taken for website http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator)

kojak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks Koyak. Those measurements are very helpful

The front Contisports (stock tires) on my car were literally destroyed after only 30,00 kms so I decided for the slightly higher profile 235/45 R17. Potholes are insane here in Mexico and a taller/wider tire should work better.

Had the tires installed and can feel a little more clearance at the front and a smoother ride. No rubbing on sharp turns either. I'll test for grip and cornering once I get a chance. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How did they get 17's on there? Thought they were all 18's with a limited choice of aftermarket wheels?
I bought my car used from a Renault engineer and asked that same question. He told me that Renault fitted the Megane RS 2.0 (225) in Mexico with 17s due to the bad condition of the roads and they did not sell a single car with 18s here. It is the exact same wheel only one size smaller.

After the previous owner had driven the car for 9,000 kms Renault asked for his tires to analyze wear and conditions. They put a brand new set of Contisports that went to crap, now under my ownership, after another 30,000 kms.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
I bought my car used from a Renault engineer and asked that same question. He told me that Renault fitted the Megane RS 2.0 (225) in Mexico with 17s due to the bad condition of the roads and they did not sell a single car with 18s here. It is the exact same wheel only one size smaller.

After the previous owner had driven the car for 9,000 kms Renault asked for his tires to analyze wear and conditions. They put a brand new set of Contisports that went to crap, now under my ownership, after another 30,000 kms.
Thats totally random in all fairness, if thats the case surely there must be 17's aftermarket that will fit the megane. Saying that it must look like its riding on baby wheels because even with the 18" wheels they still look lost in the wheel arch.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Clio 17" rims fit the Megane, and are sold by Renault as a winter option for the R26
Don't expect better grip just by squeezing a bigger tyre on the same J rim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats totally random in all fairness, if thats the case surely there must be 17's aftermarket that will fit the megane. Saying that it must look like its riding on baby wheels because even with the 18" wheels they still look lost in the wheel arch.
18s look better for sure but from what I was told Renault fitted the 17s to be used with a taller profile tire. The problem IMO was that they did not chose well the when it came to the stock tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clio 17" rims fit the Megane, and are sold by Renault as a winter option for the R26
Don't expect better grip just by squeezing a bigger tyre on the same J rim
I´ll report back on grip. It is a different harder tire that I fitted anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts