Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all,
Just a quick question, my R26 needs its Track rod ends doing, especially the near side one. What I wanted to ask is should I go direct to Renault to source the parts or will the GSF parts suffice? any one know if there is much of a difference in quality/price?
Or does anyone know the best place to get them from?
Also should both sides be done at the same time or just the one that is worn out?
Many Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Munish

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts
When I had issues with B&K bodging my TRE during coilover fitment I had Birchdown replace it when they fitted the .R suspension. Because we didn't realise the horror of what B&K had done until we had the car in pieces the only track rod end we could get hold of on the day was a pattern part. Having run it for the last few thousand miles i'd say there's no difference in perceived performance but the pattern part has corroded significantly more than the OEM part. So much so that next time I have the alignment done i'm going to have them both replaced with OEM parts.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the replies Poobah and Gray, apologies for my ignorance but what do the acronyms TRE and B&K stand for??
From Poobahs experience I think I'll go for the genuine parts.
Thanks again...

M

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just spoke to Renault west london and they want £54.23 (inc Vat) for each TRE.....
Sounds a bit on the expensive side? Anyone know if that's the going price for them? or anywhere I can get them a bit cheaper? e.g. with meganesport discount or anything?

Cheers again.....

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Renault TREs are a silly price as you've found out, seriously other than suffering from surface corrosion more pattern ones will be fine. Surface corrosion doesn't effect their operation and the actual ball joints are fine.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Joe do you mean drop links? These look like a bar with ends that are 180' the opposite way? If so £21.62 + vat from Renault, then add the nuts at 1.59 each plus vat!!

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts
Unless he's going to knock 70% off they're still going to be massively overpriced.
Personally i'd be willing to pay more than the pattern part price for a better quality part so not sure they need to be 70% cheaper to be worth having. If he could get 30-40% off them i'd probably go for them over the pattern part given how the pattern one on my car has corroded in comparison.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yea drop links, my car stripped down atm having brakes done and I have a bit of a rattle / knocking when going round left hand bend. Just wondered if it's worth changing them

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Yes mine was knocking when going over speed bumps/pot holes.
Only genuine parts for drop links.
8200669065 £21.61 + vat each.
7703034266 £1.59 + vat each for nuts.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not noticed so much on speed bumps just going round left hand bends. I'll see how it is once I have it back with brakes sorted

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
GSF are ****. They tried to argue with me saying theres no such thing as 300mm back brakes for a megane 225 and that they were all 270mm. Turns out that they are 300mm but they wouldnt acept it even when i took proof down. Personally id get a friend in parts and get discounts on oem stuff

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
i've got a gsf one on mine and its been fine and its been on a year or so. even if you changed them twice as often its still cheaper. i also replaced the track rod aswell which i got from eurocarparts iirc so i needed my tracking done too.

bradders i also had the debate about the brake discs. there system says they are the same as the other meganes which they are not obviously. ended up getting the discs from rich worldsaparts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts