Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had one fitted to there RS? Been thinking about it recently one because you hear of alot of vehicles going ATM and two to lower my insurance.

Weres best to go?
Does it lower insurance much?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Not worth the money in my opinion. I used to work with a GPS location based company and a piece of kit from the high street will detect most of them, plus the pretty obvious places fitters tend to fit them. On top of that if your car is nicked most thieves know to park it up for 24Hrs to check if a tracker is on it. If its recovered in a supermarket a day later no harm done to the thief. Price v's insurance discount doesn't weigh up either. Nor (for me at least) does paying for an insurance policy (the tracker) to keep your insurance company from paying out. So they recovered your car after some scrote broke into your house ****ed your front door stole your keys and got into a chase with the cops and most likely thrashed your car in the process. Would you be really happy to have the wreck back?
I say keep your 400 quid and should the unhappy day come that it gets nicked, hope they find the burning carcass and payout a decent payout. When its gone let it stay gone I say.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
873 Posts
As above guy's dont BOTHER!!!

You can jam the signal with a device which plugs into cigar lighter socket (if the 15amp fuse hasn't blown lol) £12 ebay!
Had our recovery lorry knicked last week! All caught on camera 57 plate transit with new body on it....
Took them 6 mins in total uploaded immobilser code into dlc 16 and off they went!!!
Using a code scambler??
Opened door with multi key adaptor from a lock shop...
Got it back next day after a few phone calls which was lucky with no damage....

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
I've got a fully integrated GPS / GPRS tracker with CAN interface, driver safety, harsh maunouver detection and analytics fitted to my r26, only because I work for a GPS technologies company.

Our devices are for commercial use only, very trick piece of kit... A little OTT for just tracking ;) but it does the job.

It lowered my insurance by £70 for the year.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
When most of the subscriptions are £100+ and they don't bring your insurance down by that much I find it hard to find an arguement for them. Plus, if someone pinches it I don't want to ever see it again.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
When most of the subscriptions are £100+ and they don't bring your insurance down by that much I find it hard to find an arguement for them. Plus, if someone pinches it I don't want to ever see it again.
This is the thing that puts most private users off...

For the device / package I am using the subscription would be £23 per month iirc.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
mines got tracker fitted by previous owner. havent activated it, dnt think its worth all the money. yearly subscription plus changing details as the new address.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I can only answer on behalf of Sky Insurance but the only time we'd need a tracker is for a car with a value over £25K and sometimes in high risk postcode areas. It would be a good idea to get quotes with and without a tracker fitted and see what difference it makes. I very much doubt that the money you spend on the tracker is going to be recouped in an insurance premium. It's also worth considering that if someone has taken your car, do you necessarily want it back?

Ollie
Sky Insurance

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
unfortunately if the car is recovered it is not up to the owner if the get it back or not. My ST3 was stolen from my house along all of the valuable items downstairs and garage. The insurance were eventually about to pay out when it was recovered abondoned in a field in yorkshire. The damage was not sufficient to write it off, so the buggers repaired it and gave it back to me.

I discovered from the police that it had been used as a getaway car on approx 8 other burgularys from Wales to Newcastle. Driven in high speed police pusuits including the wrong way up the motorway. The theives had a high powered poachers lamp to blind the police as well as screws nails and rocks to throw out the windows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts