Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Megane have some kind of turbo timer thingy???

I was chatting with a couple of the guys here and they mentioned running the car for a minute of so to let the turbo cool down. Not much of a problem at the moment as I'm still taking it easy!!

But I'm sure I read something on here about there being an electronic turbo timer on the 225s.

If so can anyone give me any info on it? :D :D

G

·
I've heard a few people mention letting their 225 run for a bit before turning the engine off. Not sure what the benefit of this is though. I don't do it myself.

I do know there is a lower rev limit while the engine is warming up. Thats to protect the turbo while it's cold but not sure about once it's warmed up.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the rev limit is lowered when the engine is cold so that you don't damage the engine.
My old 172 had that feature although I don't tend to drive any car over 3k rpm for the first 10-15 minutes.

I just recall reading about the Megane having a built in timer like idea but electric rather than just keeping the engine running for a couple of minutes.
Something that just lets the oil cool the turbo but with the engine off????

·
Registered
710 Posts
you should always let a turbo car have a cool down period after you have drivin it more so when you have been for a blast.
The oil that circulates the turbo needs to keep moving otherwise the heat from the turbo carbonises it and leaves deposits in the oil thus blocking the oil feeds to the turbo so the turbo is not cooled asmuch as it should be and the carbon affects the bearing in the turbo so it is not very well lubricated and wares down much quicker, which will leave to a smokey turbo and possibly turbo failure.
I beleve the 225 has a oil pump that keeps going for a while after the engine has stopped which helps to a degree. You can here it after you have been out for a burn.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats exactly what I was talking about!!

So basically the oil is pumped round the turbo to cool it down. Have heard its good to run the engine for a bit when you've taken the car out for a hard drive.

I'd assume its not something that Renault advise?? Is it worth having faith in the electric gizmo on the car??

·
Registered
710 Posts
Your best off letting it cool down for a bit when you come to a stop aslong as you take it easy when you get near your destination you should be ok.

Renault have never said anything about it so im not sure just thought it was a rule of thumb that you let turbo cars have a cool down period.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think I read on the "Ask the Experts" part of the Renault Sport forum that they'd advise not using full boost during the final 30 seconds of your journey and then a 30-60 second cool down period.

·
Founder
8,209 Posts
yeah the meg does have a pump that comes on for about 60 secs after you switch off, theres a delay of about 15 seconds from when you stop, it always shits me up if I'm messing about with a dump valve or somthing after I've just been out in the car :D

Paul RS Tuning has a turbo timer, it calculates the time needed for cooling automatically based on the temp readings from the ecu, clever stuff

·
Founder
8,209 Posts
thats the apexi boost controller tho not the timer, Paul has the boost controller ruunning a constant 15PSI rather than the standard remap wich drops off higher up the rev range, you'll have to ask Paul but I think you do need tghe remap to allow the 15 PSI I dont think anything over qbout 13 can be had on the standard ,ap without a shutdown, we need to figure out this problem with the MAP sensors and then shutdown issues can be avoided all together

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
jonseal said:
thats the apexi boost controller tho not the timer, Paul has the boost controller ruunning a constant 15PSI rather than the standard remap wich drops off higher up the rev range, you'll have to ask Paul but I think you do need tghe remap to allow the 15 PSI I dont think anything over qbout 13 can be had on the standard ,ap without a shutdown, we need to figure out this problem with the MAP sensors and then shutdown issues can be avoided all together
sorry mate was miles away there :lol:
turbo timer ahh yes,
this has got to be wired INTO the ecu from wat paul told me :lol: sounds like alot of work if you dont know wat your doing.

·
Founder
8,209 Posts
yep for sure, I'm an alarm engineer by trade so I'm confindent with electrics and stuff but would not have known where to start with that, you need all the wiring info and stuff for starters for the colours of the wires that give the readings the timer /boost controller need

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
jonseal said:
yep for sure, I'm an alarm engineer by trade so I'm confindent with electrics and stuff but would not have known where to start with that, you need all the wiring info and stuff for starters for the colours of the wires that give the readings the timer /boost controller need
yup sod that, might leave mine to pual todo wen the map goes on :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts