Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,
I'm looking at getting some part worn tyres. 6mm even tread left. Conti Sport contact 3's. They have a nick out of the rim protection shown below. Any advice or thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I had a chunk of rubber that came off my old front tyre and it was fine.
I guess it depends how deep it is.
How much is it if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
The problem is,that it might well not pass an MOT,so it will depend if that is due soon.
From the picture, safety wise it should be no problem as long as it is only a superficial rubber cut and not near the cords.
It also needs to be checked for internal impact damage.
If buying online,make sure they have the claimed tread depth across the whole tread,not just 6mm at the highest point then 2 mm on the shoulder.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cut is just in the rim protector and not through to the carcass do should be fine. Good point on the tread question though. He did say the wear was even. Hmmm. May just man up and buy new.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Part worn tyres, hmm each to their own. How did they come about being free for sale? Write off?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
90% of partworn tyres sold in the UK are imported in from Germany wher most replace tyres at around 4mm tread.
Tyres that come from the UK will come from breakers yards,tyre shops that have contracts with be big companies or public services, or have been taken off due to nails,damage or just a good salesman that has convinced someone they need new tyres.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I normally wouldn't even consider it, but the tyres that are on it were getting low after only 6 months and after this snow the tread appears to have dissolved completely! So I'm after a stopgap. I think I'll probably just buy new!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts