Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to rotate my wheels today, front to back.

Buggered if I could get the rear right one off (yes, all wheel bolts removed). Looks like I'm gonna need a garage to do it.

Anyone else had this?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
if its been a while since they were removed then then can rust on..

get yourself a bit of wood on the back of the wheel and hit the wood with a big hammer, it will come off eventually

Th other option is to put the bolts back in but NOT tighten them up fully (1 turn left) and move the car, the weight of the car and the movement should break the wheel free.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Had the same problem with mine, I just sprayed it will come off eventually with a bit of force.
You could also take the car out and get some heat into the brakes,then try it

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
put 1 wheel nut in... not all the way tight, and get underneath car with copper mallet or rubber mallet, and hit inside edge of rim until it comes off, tip- rotate wheel as you spin and it will come off easier. Or same as above and get a bar and hook it in somewhere near a link etc then gently lever on the rim until it comes loose.

The when off, wire brush centre of hub of all corroshion and smear with copper grease, and same with inside of centre wheel

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thats wierd i just had this yesterday i had a puncture! Thought i'd never get it off so tried all the mallet thing, lowering it, highering it etc but in the end i kicked it and it came too just, then it easied off. Took it to the wheel place and it had 3 puntures! I knew i had a slow one anyway but thats just annoying! getting a new conti sc 5 fitted on saturday for £205 which wasn't exactly welcome at this time of year!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
False economy rotating wheels unless your planning on selling soon!
Eh? Fronts have 3.5mm tread. Rears have 7mm tread. It's winter and it's a front wheel drive. Surely better to have more tread on driving and turning wheels on wet/snow/slippery surface.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
**** the above.

I have but today been to Morgan Tyres in Belfast.

I got 4 'part warn' conti sport contact 5 tyres, 235 40 18, (6mm on 2, 7mm on 2, mould nipples still visable)

For £210 fitted and balanced. Thats a £700+ saving on the same tyres new.

You got to love the Germans for their strict rules.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
**** the above.

I have but today been to Morgan Tyres in Belfast.

I got 4 'part warn' conti sport contact 5 tyres, 235 40 18, (6mm on 2, 7mm on 2, mould nipples still visable)

For £210 fitted and balanced. Thats a £700+ saving on the same tyres new.

You got to love the Germans for their strict rules.
Where did you get them from?? Do share

·
Registered
140 Posts
Though Conley is often very blunt in the way he expresses his opinion, he knows what he's talking about based on experience. As opposed to many others who are just talking hear-say.

In this case, he is right, though I can't completely agree with him. For an experienced driver, having the tires with the best grip at the front is favorabel at almost all times. Oversteer is much easier to solve than understeer if you know what you're doing, especially on a fwd car with lots of power. But for many people on here, it will become tricky if they have the rear step out too much. Many inexperienced drivers catch the first slide, let go of the throttle, overcorrect and then counter-react too late. Thus ending up in the ditch anyway... For them, understeer is more foolproof and easier to solve.

So for inexperienced drivers (eg, people who don't have racing experience or done many, many trackdays) I would probably recommend having the best tires at the back.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Though Conley is often very blunt in the way he expresses his opinion, he knows what he's talking about based on experience. As opposed to many others who are just talking hear-say.

In this case, he is right, though I can't completely agree with him. For an experienced driver, having the tires with the best grip at the front is favorabel at almost all times. Oversteer is much easier to solve than understeer if you know what you're doing, especially on a fwd car with lots of power. But for many people on here, it will become tricky if they have the rear step out too much. Many inexperienced drivers catch the first slide, let go of the throttle, overcorrect and then counter-react too late. Thus ending up in the ditch anyway... For them, understeer is more foolproof and easier to solve.

So for inexperienced drivers (eg, people who don't have racing experience or done many, many trackdays) I would probably recommend having the best tires at the back.
You are right and there is no definitive answer where to stick a pair of new tyres as you can argue a valid case either way. It's very situation dependant.

That is the issue here, people blindly believe all that one size fits all, internet cut and paste, folklore mantra type stuff.

There is a huge swath of people that can’t think or see beyond it and get all stressed when it’s challenged. Case in point.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
2 Good tyres on the front and 2 poor tyres on the rear will result in the back end stepping out if you lift the throttle into a corner thus resulting in oversteer which as the guys correctly said for an experienced driver is easily solved with opposed steering and power.

2 good tyres on rear and 2 poor on the front will result in understeer, the front will not steer into the corner as you would expect... This to correct is harder than oversteer.

In my opinion I would have the better tyres on the front in all circumstances.

Kojak.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts