Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My GF has had her RS250 for a few weeks now and she is slowly clocking up the miles. What I want to know from you guys who have re-mapped your cars, what is considered to be a well run-in engine milage thats ready for tuning?

I have always considered that 5000-6000 miles was a pretty good point to drop the original oil, change the filter and renew the oil prior to any form of tuning...... any words of advice.....?

Finally, we have £1000 to spend, so Ive been thinking that a cat back exhaust (Res or non-res?) a drop in filter and a trip to RS tuning would come to about that price

Thanks in advance - Paul

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Paul - where in the north east are you from?

I took delivery of my RS250 at the end of September and had it remapped after 1600 miles at RS Tuning. I probably should have waited a little longer for the engine to loosen up as my stock figures were slightly lower than some people's on here, but still made better power than the quoted figures (made 248.4 bhp stock, where some have seen close to 260bhp), though the car still made 296bhp with the remap alone. In the end I just couldn't wait to have it done as I was slightly disappointed with the car's standard performance.

In terms of price: Paul normally charges £425+VAT for RS250 mapping, a filter will set you back around £40 and a decent exhaust will be around £570.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris!

I'm in South Shields. The car belongs to the GF so its not going to have many miles put on it until the weather gets a little better. I'm a little bit nervous about getting any work done to the car until its got a few thousand miles on the clock, what you have said about stock figures makes me want to hang on a little longer too. I'm not sidapointed with the standard performance (yet) but the shine will rub off with time.

I will fit the exhaust and filter myself, these are easy jobs but as RS tuning is just down the road I will get the re-map done there. Have you put a different exhaust on your car? if so was it a non-resonated or resonated type and apart from noise levels whats the difference?

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Had mine remapped at 3500 miles, made 259bhp pre map and 312 after. I've got the Ktec exhaust on mine and am very happy with it. No drone on the motorway, but makes a good noise when you want it too. Its how it should have come from the factory. Wouldn't worry about the figures, it's how it drives afterwards, you wont be disappointed whatever it makes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Chris!
Have you put a different exhaust on your car?
No, my car is completely standard apart from the remap, I've got a Forge FMIC ready to fit when the weather improves a little, after that I'll be fitting a BMC panel filter and maybe a Milltek exhaust.

The remap completely changes the character of the car, it feels much more raw where the standard map is perhaps a little too progressive.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Why do you need to remap it? Do you feel your driving it at its limits already? Most people couldn't drive a 1.0L competently let alone 250bhp. Learn to drive the thing first! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Had mine remapped at 3500 miles, made 259bhp pre map and 312 after. I've got the Ktec exhaust on mine and am very happy with it. No drone on the motorway, but makes a good noise when you want it too. Its how it should have come from the factory. Wouldn't worry about the figures, it's how it drives afterwards, you wont be disappointed whatever it makes.
What did they do? Pump the tyres for that figure or use a different percentage to calculate the fly? Remember the 250 relates to PS not BHP. Thats one extraordinarily healthy figure to produce on a tight production engine. Sorry but I think all this mapping that goes on just blurs the dynamics of the car where as the money spent on good tuition lasts long after the car has gone.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Hi All,

My GF has had her RS250 for a few weeks now and she is slowly clocking up the miles. What I want to know from you guys who have re-mapped your cars, what is considered to be a well run-in engine milage thats ready for tuning?

I have always considered that 5000-6000 miles was a pretty good point to drop the original oil, change the filter and renew the oil prior to any form of tuning...... any words of advice.....?

Finally, we have £1000 to spend, so Ive been thinking that a cat back exhaust (Res or non-res?) a drop in filter and a trip to RS tuning would come to about that price

Thanks in advance - Paul
Remap it straight after driving it out of the showroom, particularly if you are not interested in a loaded run on the Dyno.

The extra power and torque is accessed via the throttle and just like any running in or bedding in process, you as the driver have ultimate control.

Leaving an engine for 6000 miles does not improve long-term post map durability. It just makes you think you might have a 'stronger' engine. The engines hardware components are exactly the same.

Now, from a durability and more of a racing point of view (more professional one might say...) - ask yourself just how long a tight toleranced new racing engine is left before it’s fully loaded.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Now, from a durability and more of a racing point of view (more professional one might say...) - ask yourself just how long a tight toleranced new racing engine is left before it’s fully loaded.
But also, how long do highly toleranced racing engines actually last? :)

If you want it mapped, realistically it's not going to make much of a difference when you do it. So long as you leave the car warm up correctly before you stick your foot down.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
But also, how long do highly toleranced racing engines actually last? :)

If you want it mapped, realistically it's not going to make much of a difference when you do it. So long as you leave the car warm up correctly before you stick your foot down.
As long as the design permits....

Put it another way, you dont build a race engine and then deliberately do anything to reduce its overall durability. ££££ :)

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
And one would have to ask themselves what are the maximums that this engine is used in? Is it used for any more powerful engine ranges in Renaults fleet?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
+ 15-20% on power/torque feels about right for a Megane 250 until there is some more long term mapped data feedback from current owners on durability.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
What did they do? Pump the tyres for that figure or use a different percentage to calculate the fly? Remember the 250 relates to PS not BHP. Thats one extraordinarily healthy figure to produce on a tight production engine. Sorry but I think all this mapping that goes on just blurs the dynamics of the car where as the money spent on good tuition lasts long after the car has gone.
Ask Paul at RS tuning, just telling you the figures from the dyno. Didn't touch the tyres.

·
Registered
228 Posts
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm looking to pick up a Megane RS in a month or so, and I'm just wondering... doesnt a remap void the warranty on the car?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm looking to pick up a Megane RS in a month or so, and I'm just wondering... doesnt a remap void the warranty on the car?
Yes absolutely on the engine. I wouldn't have thought it would affect other parts of the car such as electrical, paint, interior etc

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes absolutely on the engine. I wouldn't have thought it would affect other parts of the car such as electrical, paint, interior etc
So it DOES void the warranty. Wouldn't that be a bad thing if anything DOES go wrong with the engine? Isn't repairing this beast relatively expensive?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Understand that up to 80% of a dealer's revenue comes from warranty work. As long as Renault will cover the cost of the work, then most garages will be more than happy to carry out the job. It's the same for all manufacturers.

Regardless, I've not read of anyone having problems with the engine, even after a remap.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Understand that up to 80% of a dealer's revenue comes from warranty work. As long as Renault will cover the cost of the work, then most garages will be more than happy to carry out the job. It's the same for all manufacturers.

Regardless, I've not read of anyone having problems with the engine, even after a remap.
I don't think the remap will result in any direct problems for the engine.
What I'm worried about is something else failing, e.g. alternator or bad timing belt, and the dealer says it wont be covered because the car was remapped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts