Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Do people use the term similar too WELL IT IS A FRENCH CAR WHAT DO WE EXPECT. What I can’t understand is if people have that many problems with this sort of car why do they still drive them. It really annoys me when I hear it. I have had French cars for around 10 years and I have never had any major problems with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
megane225 said:
why do they still drive them.
Because they tend to be cheaper than the 'more reliable' alternatives, its a balancing act which more often than not people plump for the cost saving.

I am opinion that French cars are shit, 3 problem cars in the same household backs me up. 2 replacement engines in a Scenic and a Clio as well as a 'Friday Afternoon' Megane RS which was so bad I cut my losses after 16 months.

Just look at the JD power survey as well, it says it all.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Mark200780 said:
megane225 said:
why do they still drive them.
Because they tend to be cheaper than the 'more reliable' alternatives, its a balancing act which more often than not people plump for the cost saving.

I am opinion that French cars are shit, 3 problem cars in the same household backs me up. 2 replacement engines in a Scenic and a Clio as well as a 'Friday Afternoon' Megane RS which was so bad I cut my losses after 16 months.

Just look at the JD power survey as well, it says it all.
To me that dosnt substitute the reason why they are unreliable. By the way do you still own a Renault??????????

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
It's not the unreliability that bothers me, is how much hassle getting stuff fixed at the dealer is. My local dealer is appalling. A one hour fix turns into a week of hell

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
cactusbob said:
It's not the unreliability that bothers me, is how much hassle getting stuff fixed at the dealer is. My local dealer is appalling. A one hour fix turns into a week of hell
Yeah that can be true I know there has been a lot of people on here with problems with the dealers. I suppose if you want an 5 star customer service you buy an Audi or a car of that level.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Well if renaults are that crap why are they the current F1 Champions and dominating again this season? I have owned more Renaults than any other car in the last 16 years 5GT Turbo, Twingo !!!! 19 16v Hatch, Espace Initialle, Modus and my excellent 225.

Sure they have had a few problems, but at the end of the day they are mechanical pieces of equipment that get a good hammering, left outside in all weathers etc etc. No one shouts that their Philips Tv is crap because the tube goes after a few years, or the tumble dryer packs up after a few years. I appreciate they aren't as costly so it's all relative.

With regards to if you want 5 star service go with Audi etc, disagree. I bought 5 new cars from BMW in the space of 8 months, nothing but hassle, filled me full of crap with excuses why the cars did this and that. Tried to treat me like an idiot at first as if I knew nowt bout engineering, soon changed their tune when I told them I was a First Class Aircraft Engineer with over 15 years experience and a HND in Aeronautical Engineering!!!!

Each to their own opinion though and I respect that. Simple if you don't like them don't buy them.

Regards to all our readers, hope to meet you at the French Car Show.
Phill J

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
People often say it about French cars or Fords!! The fact is they are all average car manufacturers and the dealerships are all as bad as each other.

Got a mate at work who only goes for Jap cars. Goes on about how reliable they are. Well to be honest, if want to buy a 10 year old car, for next to nothing that will drive on and on then go Jap!!

If you want a new car that will have warranty then why not go for a European motor????

Ignorance is a big part of it unfortunately.

I've owned 3 Clios and now the 225 and I've never had any major problems. My mum owned an R reg Megane and that was good, then an X reg Clio that really wasn't up to scratch.

Luck of the drawer by the looks of it! :? :?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
To me that dosnt substitute the reason why they are unreliable. By the way do you still own a Renault??????????
I had a 225 until last month and I can honestly say it was the worst car I've ever owned. Whats your point, are implying that because I no longer own one I can't post here anymore?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have my problems with my 225, fortunately I have a very good relationship with my dealer and they know what they are doing with the car. This helps as I don't think I could put up with an incompetent one.

I do feel for you Mark as it sounds like you've had some shitters and an incompetent dealer, But the majority of owners don't have these problems. Just the run of the mill general faults that you get with any major manufacturer, I will stick my neck out on this one and say I will buy another renault and hopefully enjoy it as much as the last 2.

I hope you don't have your run of bad luck with your new motor Mark, what did you go for?

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
i think its the quarlty contrl of the factory, some of the car seem pretty good and some goes really bad quickly, i been own a L reg clio16V unitl last year and 150000 on the clock and drive it hard as well, but it's got no major problem at all, also it's how u care your car like oil change eg.....

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
I'm sure all dealers can't be bad. A lot of it is down to QA at the factory as well, also when they continue to fit parts that are incredibly unreliable.

I've read on hear that it's not uncommon to have coils fail, my 2001 Megane has the same problem and so does my 2003 Clio, you would have thought that Renault could sort the problem out in five years. Having said that, the damn things always start (in my experience) and you can always drag 'em to the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts