Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would just like to know what everyones thoughts are on tinted windows? Would you just get the back ones tinted or all of them? How dark would you go? Been thinking of getting it done as i know someone who owns a window tinting company.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its now illegal to have any kind of tint on the fronts as from 2004!!! As for the backs you can go as dark as you want!!!!!! think you could still get the fronts done but at your own risk!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alex A said:
Its now illegal to have any kind of tint on the fronts as from 2004!!! As for the backs you can go as dark as you want!!!!!! think you could still get the fronts done but at your own risk!!!!
Whats the penalty?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I think they just give you a certain time to rectify it!! Then if you get done again they probably scam some money out of you.

I always thought dark tints on the back of the Megane would look pretty cool. Often thought about it myself but I wouldn't go for the illegal tints by doing the front side windows. :?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got mine tinted, the backs are 15% and they not too dark just look right, i got 50% on the front but never been pulled about them, they not really that noticeable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex_172 said:
I always thought dark tints on the back of the Megane would look pretty cool. Often thought about it myself but I wouldn't go for the illegal tints by doing the front side windows. :?
My thoughts exactly.

Not sure whether dark on the back and light on the front would look good thats really whats holding me back. Knowing how dark to go on the front and back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jacob said:
i got mine tinted, the backs are 15% and they not too dark just look right, i got 50% on the front but never been pulled about them, they not really that noticeable.
Any chance of a pic? Would like to get an idea of what it looks like. How much did you pay?

·
Registered
693 Posts

thats the best one ive got so you can see the difference never bin pulled about them .....................check karl newbi post for more mate :D :D

·
Site Admin
20,189 Posts
Ive got tints all round. Slightly lighter on the front than the rears.

There are a few things that can happen with the tints if you get stopped.

You are eligible for a VDRS. Vehicle Defect Recitification Scheme. 14 Days to take them off.

Reported for summons.

Issued a FPN - fixed penalty notice

Bearing in mind with insurance companies, if you are involved in a RTC and the insurance companies come out to assess your car. I have known them not to pay out due to the tints no complying with regulations. This happended to a mate who had limo black !!!! Not only that, you are likely to get prosecuted by the police if they are ever tested and could have contributed to the collision.

Heres a few pics of mine and my other halfs. They are exactly the same tints. Depends which angle and light you take the picture at.

My old one, same tints

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
~I Love Tints~

Can completely change the look of a car, and i reckon make driving better, as you don't get the glare from the sun (if we ever get any)

30% i think is the most you can have them. though. :? not 100% on that though.

I've never been pulled with mine either.

I'd say if they don't look toooooo dark you'll be ok, but if they are stupidly dark like limmo black, then your likely to get pulled.

I see a clio today (was following him) and at every junction he opened his window as i'm sure he couldn't see anything out of them! :lol: :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys here is the low down on tints. You can have the back and rear windows as dark as you like-Limo glass if you want. You may not tint the front windscreen at all and the front side windows must let at least 75% light through them. The traffic police have a devise which they place either side of the glass, send a beam of light through and measure the amount passed, like I say it must be at least 75%. Some of the police volvo's let 75.5% through when they show a test, but these are legal.

As for penalties you can remove them in the presence of the officer or take a fixed penalty fine of £30. If they stop you tomorrow, same drills remove them or £30 and so on and so forth.

Those of you that have read my posts before will know how I know due to my old business/job, those that havn't just trust me, you will be fined and like the man said before if you are a persistant offender you may find your vehicle having a full inspection by the DOT and they won't just be checking your windows!!!! ie 1 faulty tyre can be 3 points and up to £1,000 fine, worn steering or brakes........you got the picture. Don't be cocky to a traffic cop and he may use his disgresion, and never ask him if "he's got something better to do with his time", cos he obviously hasn't it's his job!!!!!

All the best, stay safe and legal. (P.S I've never claimed I like the police)
Phill J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Adam (shiny). By the way those LEDS you supplied me with for the interior of my car are superb, highly recommended m8.
Cheers PJ

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
No problems matey!

Going to be doing a special offer on them soon!!

Might do anyway, only for MEGsport members.

I can bring a few sets along if i make it there.

How many weeks away is it now?

·
Registered
693 Posts
not sure need to see dave about ticket is everyone going vip lol
would be greatfull if you could as i think they look cool also my mate has a octy vrs can you do them for that
:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts