Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone !

I just bought a LY R26 and I'd like to ask you about winter tires.
I received a good set of Goodyears UG Performance 2 in 225/40 R18 on a stock R26 wheels and I think that this size look worse than 235/40 R18. I know that is a recommended winter size, but I'm really not convinced to them.

Do you have any photos of R26 with stock suspension and 225/40 R18 tires ? Maybe some comparsion with 235/40 R18 ?

Many thanks in advance !
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
i know i am runing quiet different car, but also running in summer 235 40 18, but they are much expensive over here & really hard to find compare to 225 40 18 winter over here so now at start of second winter i am fine with 225, ok they are not so cool as 235, but still megane on 225 is cool as also nobody drive like ****** in winter & winter tires :)

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
225s do look a little stretched compared to 235s but it is not that noticable.

I have 235 Michelin pilot alpin on mine (which whilst expensive are a seriously good compromise between winter ability and still giving good dry grip) and have just swapped them over from the summer set as its getting wetter. the narrower tyre is supposed to give some some extra grip but i doubt the 10mm makes much difference

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Im thinking of getting the cup alloys. Can you run 225s on them? Or is it best to get 235. For general and winter use. I get my tyres quite cheap atk but the 235s are a lot more expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Cheapest long term solution,is secondhand 17" rims and 215 or 225-45-17's.
Plus I don't like taking tyres on and off the rim too many times,due to the risk of rim and bead damage.Though if you have a good experienced tyre fitter there shouldn't be any problems with today's modern tyre fitting machines
Come January stock levels might be better this year in the UK than previous years,but I'm sure tyres will be hard to find and expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for response,
I decided to run 225s this winter and everything is OK.
I can't see a difference in compare to 235s and they also look great on my R26 ( I will send you some fresh pics soon :) )

Cheers !

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Cheapest long term solution,is secondhand 17" rims and 215 or 225-45-17's.
Plus I don't like taking tyres on and off the rim too many times,due to the risk of rim and bead damage.Though if you have a good experienced tyre fitter there shouldn't be any problems with today's modern tyre fitting machines
Come January stock levels might be better this year in the UK than previous years,but I'm sure tyres will be hard to find and expensive.
What 17's fit?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I run 235x40x18 in the summer and switch to a set of additional alloys fitted with 225x40x18 snow tyres for the winter months...
Works fine BUT you need to be more aware of reduced wear / grip that you dont get with the standard size wheel/tyre.

Should snow this weekend so get them fitted and save some coin to buy better summer tyres!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im looking for a brand new set of michelin pilot sport cup tires for summer.
Homologated by Porsche on GT2 and GT3, also by BMW on the M3.
I have an experience with Toyos R888, R1R and I think that they are awesome, but it's a great possibility to try another semislick tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.