Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post this table as there seems to be some uncertainty about insurance once Winter tyres are fitted.
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consu ... tment.aspx
It still seems crazy to me that some insurance companies need notifying when Winter tyres are fitted.
Notice that insurances companies will be reviewing policies before next Winter.
On the same note.
The EU are pushing for EU laws to regulate many aspects of road safety,including compulsory fitment of Winter tyres on all Vehicles.
There will be EU road safety coordinator,his job to half road fatalities in the EU.
Other interesting points,the fitting of alcolocks to commercial and passenger vehicles,plus anyone convicted of drink driving offenses.
Integrated crash management systems,won't be long before we all have cameras in our cars that record automatically just before a crash.
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe ... 010_en.pdf

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
How can't they say what tyres we put on are own cars and when ? Tyres arnt cheap as it is so why would I want 2 sets ?
What if the car is stored in the winter and still insured ? Doesn't really make any sence !

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's not on the road it won't matter what tyres are fitted,only if your out in cold,icy conditions.
In the long run,it actually works out cheaper to run two sets of winter/summer wheels, Especially if you run 19" in the summer.
For my Audi for example, the winter tyres cost roughly 400 pounds a set less than the 19" Summer tyres that I will put on,plus they will probably last longer.
So each set of tyres will last me roughly two years,and the extra set of Winter wheels cost me only 400 pounds
Maybe they should just bring in a law in the UK,that if you block a road getting stuck on a hill in 2cm of snow,because you have Summer tyres fitted.
You get a nice fine and a few points on your license for being on the road in a vehicle that is not road worthy for the conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Making winter tyres a legal requirement doesn't really make sense in the UK, especially when the winters are quite mild in lots of parts and snow is not that common. However, the suggestion that you could be fined and get points for driving an unroadworthy vehicle is perfectly reasonable. We get loads of notice of expected snowfall these days, so you should be able to plan around it, and if you need to be mobile when the conditions are bad, then you need to get winter tyres.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Hey Jay - you're links have got broken.
Dingbats with summer tyres should stay at home in the snow, seen some real stupid driving over the weekend. For those with winter tyres it's almost as risky being on the road with winter tyres, as it is without, because people simply don't know how to drive.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I have a winter run about the meg is not used that much only on dry days but I still don't see the point in winter tyres ! I know how to handle a car and b4 any says it I know there's all ways a chance ! Maybe they to should make it part of a driving test to b able to handle a car in poor/ bad weather ! As the police r so say trained in these conditions and I'm sure they don't swap out tyres in the winter etc ! It's all most like say here's 6 points for the wrong wipers lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got a second set of alloys with WRC snow/tarmac tyres on and they are AWESOME in the cold....

Had full snow tyres on these rims prior to that and again, excellent when it's lying snow / icy. Up to yourselves of course... but it you're driving a car worth a sizeable amount of money, the things keeping you on the road are SURELY a priority????

Anyone thats ever driven with snow tyres will tell you the same thing! at least 100% better!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/C...r_Tyres__The_Motor_Insurance_Committment.aspx
try again.
In the Uk the biggest problem is keeping an eye in the rear view mirror to see if someone's sliding into the back of you, when you just stopping normally with Winter tyres.
In the end, tyre laws will be made in Brussels for the EU,and if they decide on bringing in Winter tyres,then EU members will have to enforce them.
The problem is,that there is no good argument for keeping Summer tyres on in the UK in the Winter.
Winter tyres are safer under 7c,which is the best part of November to April, and in the long run save life's, and money.
People that don't understand tyres, will always try to defend just sticking to running the wrong tyres at the wrong time of year.The same way that people can't be bothered to put anti-freeze in the washer bottle,silicon on door rubbers, treat door locks etc, because they won't need it.
It just makes it that much funnier but at the same time sad,when you see people struggling to get in their cars in the morning, or stranded cars at the side of the motorway.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
How can't they say what tyres we put on are own cars and when ? Tyres arnt cheap as it is so why would I want 2 sets ?
What if the car is stored in the winter and still insured ? Doesn't really make any sence !
Its law in Germany and to be honest it seems to work. Supposing you decided to risk it and took your car with summer tires out in the winter.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Doesn't really matter what I think as they won't enforce it ! Take the mobile ban that worked really well ! The amount of people I see driving when on the phone is gettin to b a joke !
Bahn I understand what u r saying and I'm fully aware of the risks but 99% of the time it's not the tyres it's the connection between the seat and the steering wheel !

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Bahn I understand what u r saying and I'm fully aware of the risks but 99% of the time it's not the tyres it's the connection between the seat and the steering wheel !
That maybe true but you can't educate pork, so in order to protect everyone winter tyres could be introduced in the interest of safety. I'm sure there'll be some data out there to show the improvement in Germany since they were introduced (it wasn't that long ago it became the law). I anticipate the different country response but winter tyres are unequivocally safer.
On the cost point, in Austria, new young drivers who really can't afford 2 sets of wheels and tyres run winter tyres all year. That way they can't be penalised, they must also receive driver training, usually run by the OAMTC.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When your learning to drive in Germany,the instructor will still take you out if it's a snow blizzard and the roads are covered in deep snow.
It's all part of learning to drive.
An easy way out is to use all-season tyres if they bring in laws,then you can you can just leave them on all year.
I have an old Golf estate that runs all year on Winter tyres.
I still don't see why some are so negative about fitting tyres that are designed to work and be safe in cold conditions.
There are more than likely more people that would sooner drive around on track day tyres, that cost a fortune,wear out after 5000 miles and are useless for everyday use

·
Registered
293 Posts
Best way for people to appreciate and more importantly 'understand' the benefits of winter tyres is to try them in the conditions they are intended for.
I must admit that I was sceptical also as to their abilities until I tried them on a RWD BMW last year in the snow.

Since then I've got a set of 4x on my wifes Volvo and again a set of 4X for my 225.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts