Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something I've been considering for years this...

We had a sprinkling of snow earlier this week in North Yorks and I (stupidly) found myself on a very quiet and hilly b-road to avoid traffic with the factory spec Michelin PS2's on (4-5mm). It was early morning with lots of slush and underlying ice on the road as I crept down a hill. I wasn't breaking hard and was driving v slowly... Needless to say I found myself in a sledge whilst ABS tried to regain traction.

Given I've got 4-5mm left I took the decision to re-boot over winter and save the PS2s for some track action in the spring.

Have just had some Falken EuroWinters HS439s fitted (235/40 R18 95V) and, despite not being scrubbed in yet, have immediately noticed a dramatic improvement this evening in the pi&&ing cold rain. Water displacement is far superior with no aquaplaning and am now looking forward to see how they perform in both dry and slush/snow. The Falkens get a good review here and a number of other sites and whilst not being reviewed as highly as some other more expensives still seem to come out pretty well.
http://m.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/Eurowinter-HS439-5

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Eurowinter-HS439.htm

I really struggled to find 235 winters (225s seem more common) and managed to get them from a Swiss online co. called Pneus Online at just over £600 delivered. http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk...ds.google.co.uk_pneus_online&xtor=SEC-24-GOO-[Pneus_Online]--S-[Pneus-Online]&xts=223987&gclid=CMau_YSd86wCFQUhtAod6S3JNg

I'll update this with further thoughts when it's snows again.

PS. RS Monitor Snow mode does dampen the throttle input sufficiently and seems to help a little in slippery situations.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Yeah you'll notice the difference. I've still got summer tyres on that I would be replacing if it was summer! Ordered 2 new winter tyres today to replace one of my damaged ones from last year, so I will have 4 winter ones again. Couldn't get the ones I got a couple of years back so got some Hankook icebears to try out @ £225 for 2. See how it goes. But the last 2 years the other ones saved my ass!!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I got some icebears for mine, just under £500 for a set in 225 width (as recommended for my R26). Really pleased with their performance, want it to snow now to see what they're really like :)

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good to hear... I don't drive hard in harsh conditions, however, have joined the school of thought that I expect great traction from summer tyres in summer and want similar levels of traction (weather dependent) and confidence in winter!

All research I've done on winters comes to the conclusion that even the cheapest winter will out perform any summer tyre below 7 deg C... It ain't gonna be +8C until end of March/April.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
winter tires s must for me :) as was said already, i dont see reason why to have for winter 235 once the 225 are OK (me think) as they are cheaper & easier to find those days :)

without the winter tires you cant have so much fun :) http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sh...-spot-the-difference-gt-my-new-Corsa-Arctic-)

the falkens maybe good review on falken page but not overall :( i will suggest to check this (table) to find out which are good & which are not, there is quiet different size, but nobody is testing 225 or 235 for us, the marks can give you roughly idea which one to go for :)

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/test...R15.aspx?ComponentId=87119&SourcePageId=31821

·
Registered
287 Posts
i have kumho winter tyres on, 235/40/18, i had them on from the middle of october, thats the time it is recommend for use in germany, didn't get to test them properly yet coz it been one of the driest and warmest autum over here and temperture is still sometimes 10 -12 degrees, all i can say is braking hard in the dry is not so good, maybe because the temperture is still so high. :-

·
Registered
13 Posts
my tyres: Nokian WR G2 XL

dry: very good
wet: nice
snow: brilliant

i think you don't have so much snow ;-) so falken or any other winter tyres which are not so good in snow will be good for you

·
Registered
337 Posts
quick question: I was thinking of getting just front winter tyres to help when the snow does come so taking it easy would this be good enough to get to work and back which is 3 miles? Ive never known anyone to have winter tyres to ask how much better they are. if the weather got to bad i wouldnt use my car anyway as i wouldnt want to wreck it

giz

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
dont buy just front, if so than all 4, you can be sometimes scred to dead once the back of car dont will be able hold the same grip with front and oversteer isnt good once the truck is in oposite direction

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
the falkens maybe good review on falken page but not overall :( i will suggest to check this (table) to find out which are good & which are not, there is quiet different size, but nobody is testing 225 or 235 for us, the marks can give you roughly idea which one to go for :)
Brano - I'm a big boy, did my own research and didn't make the decision to buy based on info on Falkens own website...(!)

ADAC and various Scandinavian tyre reviews tests seem value snow/ice traction much more over pavement performance as continental Europe generally gets much more snow than the UK and over a longer period of time. If you take a report on face value you will always find "better" and more expensive products.

Given the UK has short snow spells (compared to Europe) and i spend most of my time on the motorway I was more interested in ensuring I get a good all round tyre (dry, wet, snow) with good high speed stability at a reasonable price - hence me buying Falkens which are about £300 to £400 cheaper than some of the perceived "better" tyres on ADACs tests. I'm not Only interested in snow tests.

4.5/5 star review here from 4 similar UK drivers to myself inc. Focus RS owner: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Eurowinter-HS439.htm

4.1/5 stars from 33 reviewers here: http://www.1010tires.com/tires/reviews/Falken/Eurowinter+HS439

Good review here: http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/eurp_0911_falken_tires_eurowinter_hs439_tire_review/index.html

I'll reserve judgement on the Falkens until after it snows again... I'll then post my opinion which may prove useful for others on the forum. Either way they will be brilliant compared to Michelin PS2s at this time of year.

Capsicum Red RS 250 + Cup Chassis Pack, 18" A-XL, RS Monitor, Leather Recaros, Visibility Pack, Arkamys

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I just had felleing that you buy them just according the falkens page, but it looks that you did better research than i thought :)

i wasnt going to say it is bad tire, just want to suggest you to check all possible sources before buying, any way there isnt "better" = best tire, each one is good for something different (on snow, on wet road in winter, dry road in winter,...) and not always expensive mean good :)

accordint to the your first link, the numbers looks good, but as it just up to 4 ppl who said they "feelings" i want to know to which tires those ppl incl you comparing this tire, as i know that ppl in UK dont use a winter tires a lot, so once somebody is comparing his previous old wear off summer tire to new winter tire in winter the winter tire by any condition must be better, but maybe i am wrong ;)

I just know that ADAC, etc.. is comparing all tires and measuring them one to each other so the results are much more "objective"

At the end of the day, its your money and once you are happy with them, than i dont have any other worlds ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
dont buy just front, if so than all 4, you can be sometimes scred to dead once the back of car dont will be able hold the same grip with front and oversteer isnt good once the truck is in oposite direction
makes sence cheers budi,

as anyone known of anyone having michelin snow chains? easy found on google search

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
makes sence cheers budi,

as anyone known of anyone having michelin snow chains? easy found on google search
dont forget that almost each snow chains are limited to 30 mph, and once you will do with them 100 miles on dry road they will be in pieces i think, its good to have them in boot, once you are stucked somewhere but they are not for day a day ride to work

better buy some winter tires, as you can have them for another 3-4 winters ;)

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had some snow socks last year... Worked really well as a "get you out" solutions... Relatively cheap £65.00 compared to chains and really easy/quick to fit but still a pain compared to winter tyres. Got me up hills covered deep in snow in a rear drive BM 5 Series with 275 profile tyres on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZrxb8ODak0

This video is looking at the WeissSock snow sock, which is a set of snow socks for tyres ...

Capsicum Red RS 250 + Cup Chassis Pack, 18" A-XL, RS Monitor, Leather Recaros, Visibility Pack, Arkamys

·
Registered
337 Posts
so what is best value for money regarding winter tyres? I dont need to be super duper stickies as i slow down in winter but dont want total crap rubber?

cheers for the help lads

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Giz - Nokian, Hancook, Falken, Avons are all similarly priced as budget to mid price winter tyres from what I could tell. All available in UK 225 section but not in 235...

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes - may even perform better in snowy conditions as slightly narrower

1 - 20 of 184 Posts