Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
a lot meganes have been tracked, comes with the car, that should have been driven well and serviced regularly, at least you know its history.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wouldn't, when you track a car it's put under so much more strain. I'd be thinking CV joints, suspension, gearbox, engine mounts, balljoints, roll bar links, bushes etc etc.

Everything that can wear basically. I always generally buy cars a few months/year old and always think how much damage can Joe Blogs actually do to the car, most people are too scared to actually drive fast unless in a straight line. As with every secondhand purchase though you still take your chances and never really know what it's been through.

Although in this instance, you do therefore I would leave it.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Yes I would no problem.

It will have been driven hard yes but also would have been back to Renault in a heartbeat for any issues with it being a press car.

I like reading the Evo long termers for this, the second it develops a fault, needs new discs tyres, paint work it's always done sharpish.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
There is a 1st for everything - completely agree with Conley, no care taken with the cars,
Why buy a car that you know has been hammered when you could buy a mint example that hasn't been ragged
I've got the last 12 months of car magazine here - ill go and dig them out now and will let you know how their time with it went

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Someone bought an ex Press Focus RS (Was sold by a dealer in Scotland which turned out not to be required by law to tell you it was a press car)

When he found out, he could not return the car to the dealer, could not sell it near what he paid. Was a total nightmare.

So for that reason, im out!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
There is a 1st for everything - completely agree with Conley, no care taken with the cars,
Why buy a car that you know has been hammered when you could buy a mint example that hasn't been ragged
I've got the last 12 months of car magazine here - ill go and dig them out now and will let you know how their time with it went
The 1st first of many.......

.......'Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim and who walk in the light of my presence'.

(Psalm 89:15, 20th Cent Conley version)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I would suggest that the only way to know that for sure is to buy brand new... Would you rather buy a car that has been pootled around town by a Mum on the school run - stop / start, never getting a proper run or a car that has been driven by 'expert' drivers and used correctly? I know which I would choose...

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Someone bought an ex Press Focus RS (Was sold by a dealer in Scotland which turned out not to be required by law to tell you it was a press car)
Why would you have to 'declare by law'? Bit like you dont have to declare that a car has been a hire car, taxi or anything...

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I cant recall the specifics, this was way over a year ago. Apparently its different in Scot to England regarding something like this when returning a recently purchased car because of that reason. Sorry i wasn't that specific.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I would suggest that the only way to know that for sure is to buy brand new... Would you rather buy a car that has been pootled around town by a Mum on the school run - stop / start, never getting a proper run or a car that has been driven by 'expert' drivers and used correctly? I know which I would choose...
'Driven by expert drivers and used correctly'....now back to reality .... just thrashed by a load of hacks that figure them, track them, abuse them to the limits and don't really care.

Renault would like you to think these have been through the hands of the blessed and fully warmed, constantly serviced and given 24/7 care and attention by a team of F1 technicians, but people are not that stupid.

An ex-press car like this one is either flogged off cheap or pushed onto unsuspecting customers with its true history concealed. ‘Ex-management car sir.......sign here’. There’s a reason for that.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Take your point about it being used excessively or 'hammered'. Surely a comprehensive mechanical inspection like the one the AA provide will show anything up though. Here for example:

http://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspections/index.html#tabview%3Dtab2

Test's almost everything you'd want plus the areas you guys have kindly pointed out.
Nope, an AA inspection doesn’t tell you it's been thrashed or stressed to within an inch of its life.

Anyway, you can have as many independent inspections as you like, the thing is still an ex-press car for the rest of its working life. That hammers residuals and turns off punters.

Would you buy one then?

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I wouldn't personally buy a car that had been on a track, let alone a press car.

Think about how people treat rental cars... then imagine that on a race track... almost every day... and then you're getting close to how a press car is treated. The idea that they are treated with kid-gloves by a team of experts is ludicrous. They're hammered by a bunch of journos (and the rest of the lads in the office) without a thought given to their long-term well-being. I know that long term tests mean they are driven on the road as an 'everyday' car, but I'd be pretty confident they also get the sh1t kicked out of them pretty regularly too.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
the way to think of it is if you worked there and they gave you the keys would you treat it like your own or give it a good thradhing because you know it does not matter.
just look at most delivery van drivers the van is not theirs so they treat it that way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts