Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, been having a nightmare with my offside xenon for a few weeks now.

noticed in the past that the bulb would flicker.. to one day fail completely.
I replaced the bulb.. made no difference... ordered up a new ballast.. made no difference.

Tried the original parts (complete headlight unit) in the opposite side of car, worked a treat!!
Noticed that the fuse had blown after the step above.... new fuse popped instantly on trying the light again.

Anyone any ideas where to start looking for the fault? my guess would be a frayed wire or connector somewhere making a dead short?. I'll need to remove the battery etc again tomorrow to get to the fuse box (thanks Renault for the foresight in this design).
Really looking fro some advice before starting at the beginning if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Cheers

Martin

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
happen to me a few years ago it was somthing to do with the ecu took it garage where they reset it all and it work with no problems at all now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yip, I do indeed have a multimeter!!

Interesting that about the ECU..... might need to buy myself a Renault clip to resolve...
Thanks Curley... saves me a wasted few hours tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
The control computers for the xenons are in the bottom of the headlight casing (the silver boxes), if you've tried the complete unit in the other side and it works ok then there is nothing wrong with the components. This is a wiring fault, forget clip for the time being you need to give the loom a thorough going over. Visually and electrically (insulation, continuity, shorts).

Although you'll need the wiring diagrams and know how to use them for this.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a wiring fault, forget clip for the time being you need to give the loom a thorough going over. Visually and electrically (insulation, continuity, shorts).

Although you'll need the wiring diagrams and know how to use them for this.
Cheers for the reply BMH.
Exactly what I thought..... dammit....
Will try and lay my hands on the wiring diagrams. First option is to check for a dead short between the fuse (both sides) and earth (continuity check will confirm if there's a break), least that way you can discount 50% of the wiring straight off.

Curly, what did the dealer say the problem was when you had the same issue (just read your thread there..)

looks like my new years day will be spent with a multimeter and test kit....

·
Registered
472 Posts
My offside headlight was playing up about year ago, took it to an auto tech garage, and the problem was a burnt out wiring loom. Loom was fixed all good now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem finally identified...
REAR LEVEL SENSOR faulty, must be corrosion / water ingress on the potentiometer Causing a short, hence repeated blowing of te fuse... Removed it this morning to find it burnt to within an inch of its life.. As well as a new sensor, I'll be purchasing the wiring loom for this also (melted)...as opposed to replacing the full wiring run, I'll solder on the new end connection and heat sleeve it up to re-insulate. Then a trip to the stealers to set it up.. Should be job done (he says in hope)...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts