Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying to fit my aftermarket lights, deciding i didnt like them and just decided to go with the HID kit instead i was refitting the undertray cover and noticed something rather annoying.

Not one but both bloody hub gators have split and ****ed grease everywhere. I still think the one hub needs regreasing with the aid of lemonnobby's guide but bloody hell how unlucky can you get.

Are they a main dealer part or can you get them anywhere? and what sort of timescale does it take?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Have they split or have the clips broke and they've slipped off. If that's the case and they haven't been off for too long you may be able to regrease and clip them back on?

I'm in the same boat by the way!! :(

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have they split or have the clips broke and they've slipped off. If that's the case and they haven't been off for too long you may be able to regrease and clip them back on?

I'm in the same boat by the way!! :(
From the glance I had it looks like both have split right down the middle which is a ****er really, whats worst case that can happen really? not sure when i'll be able to get them done lol.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
CV joints get dirt in an eat themselves then 2x new driveshafts at £250 each from what I last remember is pretty much the worst case within reason.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CV joints get dirt in an eat themselves then 2x new driveshafts at £250 each from what I last remember is pretty much the worst case within reason.
How long would that take lol, car had mot last month and they were fine as it passed mot.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
When the boot went in my last megane, I got underneath and totaly degreased the joint. (removing all stone particals)

Regreased and put on a new boot. Is still going strong 20+K later.

The key is in the cleaning.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the boot went in my last megane, I got underneath and totaly degreased the joint. (removing all stone particals)

Regreased and put on a new boot. Is still going strong 20+K later.

The key is in the cleaning.
Well i got a refund coming from the lights so i'm gonna get my mate to have a look and sort it out lol.

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
looking at 3-4 hours to do both gaitors. they dont split down the middle i have never seen that on a car of that age

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looking at 3-4 hours to do both gaitors. they dont split down the middle i have never seen that on a car of that age
Before we repair it if im there ill get pics. Doesnt look like its slipped off. It looks like the gator is in 2 halves. Its doing my nut. Will it still take the same ammount of time even if they have only slipped off?.

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
well im a bit more of ill fit a gaitor even if they have slipped off anyway. but most people refill with grease and fit a proper clip to it.
if you do it that way 1 hour tops

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im a bit more of ill fit a gaitor even if they have slipped off anyway. but most people refill with grease and fit a proper clip to it.
if you do it that way 1 hour tops
Ill get my mate to have a good look when we get 5. Just hoping it is a slipped gator both sides. Could that give the same symptoms of a siezed hub bearing problem?

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
No, it'll only spray cv grease everywhere then eventually shag the joint. Don't know how far away you are but if you want me to take a look pm me.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, it'll only spray cv grease everywhere then eventually shag the joint. Don't know how far away you are but if you want me to take a look pm me.
Cheers mate. Your not that far away. Me mate said its not to bad atm worst case its gonna cost 50quid for both sides. Is that good you think?

He said the steering is defo the hub bearing but he said hell take a look how stiff they are when hes doing the cvs

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Is this a common fault? I have just had to replace the one on the passenger side. Is it something that i need to keep an eye on?

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Is this a common fault? I have just had to replace the one on the passenger side. Is it something that i need to keep an eye on?
Factory installed clips coming off yes, once replaced with a good quality new clip and nice and tight then it shouldn't be a problem again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts